In early January, IDP engineer Jay Johnson deployed to McMurdo Station to lead planned Rapid Access Ice Drill (RAID) maintenance efforts. The team of five set-up the drill rig and completed the modifications and test objectives requested by PIs John Goodge and Jeff Severinghaus. Primary accomplishments include:
- Repair and testing of the hydraulic system
- Testing of the Fluid Recirculation System
- Documentation of operation and winterization procedures
- Installation and testing of new components
- Deployment of a new conductor casing
In addition, the team developed procedural efficiencies to reduce rig set-up and take-down time. Pack-up and module/parts organization will be completed early in the second quarter.